Saturday, October 16, 2010

Play Calling

Far be it for me. I mean, I know very little about coaching and play calling. Maybe it's because I couldn't watch the game, so I listened to it on KSL and my opinion was influenced by Greg Wrubell and Mark Lyons.

Whatever.

Let me just say, let me declare right here once and for all, that I am a Cougar fan who would not complain if BYU reinvented itself this year as a power running offensive team.

Honestly, not a single complaint. They have a great offensive line, they are tough, and seem to really love driving defenders backward while Kariya pounds ahead for four or five yards. Granted that's not like Max Hall throwing his customary 50+ yard pass once or twice a game like we got used to watching over the past three years. That was exciting to watch. But you know what?

Four or five yards is freaking FOUR OR FIVE YARDS!!

I'm watching Wisconsin take on Ohio State right now. Ohio State, you know, the top ranked team nationally. Big favorites to win this game. Wisconsin is ahead by 11 points right now half way through the third quarter.

And they have got most of their offensive yardage by running the ball up the middle.

It works for them, and their offensive coordinator doesn't seem to mind calling the play many times over. Because, again, it's working for them. So why stop, right?

It's satisfying to watch a football team utilize something that works.

Unlike the BYU-TCU game earlier today.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, "unlike the BYU-TCU game earlier today" which you technically didn't watch, but I understand.

    Isn't it frustrating? Everybody says Heaps is going to have a great college career and develop into an all-star quarterback. So in the meantime, before he's another one of those wonderful BYU QB Factory products, they ought to get those four or five yards on the ground.

    We watched the 4th quarter, but it was pretty miserable. I flipped back and forth between that game and the Rangers-Yankees game because it was so bad.

    Nice blog, by the way. You should really post some recent pictures of the boys on your other blog so we can show them to Luke and remind him who his cousins are.

    ReplyDelete