Friday, October 1, 2010

I Know My Place

I try to convince myself that nothing that I do has any affect whatsoever on the success of the Cougars. I try to avoid using the term "we" when referring to the team. I am a fan, and that is all. Their success depends on coaching and execution, and things like that.

Not me.

I have made great strides in this area. In fact, today, I wore a BYU shirt underneath my work shirt to demonstrate my loyalty to the Cougars. I did this in spite of the fact that I have done the same thing for three of the four games this season.

What three games?

The last three.

You know, the ones we, no wait, the Cougars lost.

(I didn't do this on the day of the Washington game, but that's because I didn't go to work that day, so I couldn't have.)

So this morning, when getting dressed, I was sorely tempted not to put on a BYU t-shirt underneath my Seagull Book shirt. I mean, I was really considering it.

What if it is my fault that they lost those games? What if I could change the outcome of the game by changing my game day ritual?

This is the way fans think. Or at least the way this fan thinks.

But I threw caution to the wind, decided that even though the Cougars three straight losses this season came on days that I wore the white and blue underneath my garments of labor, that it really can't have anything to do with their performance on the field.

Right?

I'm right. I know I am. And tonight's game will prove as much.

That is, unless BYU loses, and then... well, let's just say I probably won't be dressing this way again for the rest of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment