Sunday, July 18, 2010

Summer Reading

For a deprived fan like myself, sometimes the summer months are very difficult. But I've recently begun to read books about the sports that are in the off seasons, so as to partially satisfy my appetite. I made a profound discovery in my search for good books, I can read them for free from a place called a library. I've been in the habit of buying all my books, but this library thing is pretty awesome. Especially if the book turns out to be a bust, then I didn't waste my money on it. On the flip side, if it's really an excellent read, I can then go and buy it.

Awesome, I know.

Anyway, yesterday I picked up a book called Who's #1? by Christopher J. Walsh. From what I have read so far, it is a history of college football with the intent of describing what led to the creation of the BS--sorry, I mean BCS. I am quickly becoming convinced that for a budding fanatic like myself, this is crucial reading. I'll sum up what I've learned so far:

There has never been a clear-cut way of determining a national champion in college football (meaning, now, Division I-A Football). Therefore, a system was created based on revenue (not necessarily talent) to determine an annual national champion.

I already knew this to a point, but I'm excited to get filled in on the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment